Sunday, July 5, 2026

The Day After...

...July 4th. Locally, very quiet day. Someone in the immediate neighborhood "treated" us to about 45 minutes of pyrotechnics last night from 9:30 to 10:15. That was it, aside from the distant rumble of displays from neighboring towns - Winslow, Augusta, Belgrade, Oakland? Nationally, the mightily hyped celebration/speech/fireworks on the National Mall along with the Great American Fair, were all delayed by Mother Nature who apparently is a Democrat. Attendees were evacuated ahead of a storm and most sought shelter in the African American Museum (how karmic!). The speech was delayed until after 11, which pushed the fireworks into the 5th of July. From all reports, it appears as if whoever won the no-bid contract for them understood the assignment and simply set up several barges in the Potomac River and set them up to fire syncronized identical dispalys for however long it took to burn up the record number of shells. The smoke eventually obscured the fireworks themselves. The usual poorly executed Trump celebration. This after his speech at Mount Rushmoore the night before was delayed by a severe thunder/hail storm. ~ So the holiday is behind us. Steeling myself for whatever fresh Hell awaits us this week. D. is leaving on Friday for Florida to help Kelly wrap up Don's affairs. Won't be gone long he says. We'll see. Thursday Brenda and I are going to see the High Kings at the Opera House. And next Saturday is the first Society show in Wiscasset. I need soap from Sisters who will be there and want to say hi to Rachel. ~ Had my long-term problem tooth pulled on Thursday and it's taking its sweet time in subsiding. No bleeding after the first day but I have residual soreness and my bite is adjusting to having been off for several months. I cannot say what happened to traumatize it this winter - I do not remember hitting it on anything. Perhaps it was just an age thing. Dr. Berube said one of the roots was broken off, so there's that. I have the tooth, mostly because there was a gold crown appled probably 20 years ago. NOt sure what I can do ithit but I'll research it. ~ Awful spill at Saratoga on Friday - one horse clipped heels and went down and 3 trailers fell over her. One jockey (Javier Castellano) taken to hospital but was back riding Saturday. Other 3 were all released from on-track treatment but one (Dylan Davis) took off the remainder of his mounts for the day. All 4 horses got up and ran off but were coralled by outriders. all seemed okay but it was announced yesterday the the horse that initiated the accident has a fractured hip and will undergo sustained rehab. I was not watching at the time and, as usual in these cases, the video is not available. The garden is growing well. My lettuce and Bright Lights Swiss Chard did not germinate, so I bought some lettuce starts from Ace last week. Trying to keep up withthe watering this past week was difficult but everyone seems happy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment